Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Adventures in Adulting: First House

"Hello MTV and welcome to my crib..."

This is what I feel like saying to everyone that comes over for the first time. This summer I furthered my adventure into adulthood and moved into my first house with three lovely roommates. And for the first time in my life I actually decorated with furniture other than a futon and cubby shelf. Furniture fit for an adult. After months of decorating, I'm so proud of how our little house turned out. Here's a quick tour:


                     


As fun as buying adult things and decorating has been, one thing truly hasn't been fun about adulting: managing the house (mainly utilities). I honestly don't know the first thing of managing a household or how to keep my utility bills as low as possible. 

What temperature am I supposed to keep the house at? Why was our water bill so high this month? 
These are some questions I'm searching for the answer to. Side note: I even got tricked into getting a phone line for a cheaper rate, which I didn't know would result in companies sending me a ton of annoying junk mail. Ugh. 

I'm certainly learning how to adult, but I wish I had some helpful advice that made it easier. Here's some examples of some things I'd be interested in reading:



This struggle led me to an idea of how local Athens companies could connect with fellow new house owners/renters venturing into adulthood (like myself).  Companies such as Rent Athens and Charter (or other rental and utility companies) should better educate new home owners/renters through social media.

These companies should target their new customers by creating an informative online atmosphere. I would love to follow someone who tweeted out articles on saving money on utilities, life hacks for your house, and other helpful advice for managing your first house. By simply tweeting out such helpful information, these companies would find themselves gaining an engaging audience.

Also, they can connect with their audience by encouraging customers to ask for advice using #AskCharter or #AskRentAthens. Engaging their followers with helpful answers is a quick and easy way to build brand loyalty.

Targeting these new customers this way is such a great idea because if you can make a positive impression on these young adults during their journey into adulthood- they'll likely secure a customer for life.


3 comments:

  1. I totally agree. I also just moved into my first house and keeping up with everything is so exhausting! I don't know how people can do it all on their own, Im so happy I have 4 other roommates to split the responsibilities with! But i agree the way they use the hashtag to connect with users is a great way to do things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! Loved your insight and advice you shared!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this a lot! I think Pinterest would be a great way to post some boards on organization and ways to maintain a home. The companies could have a blog and make all their posts "pinnable" to not only appeal to their audience, but to get more viewership as well.

    ReplyDelete