Monday, August 31, 2015

Adventures in Adulting: Introduction


Introduction

"Ugh I've been adulting all day today," I hear the words slip right out of my mouth. As a fourth year (and soon to graduate) college student at the University of Georgia, I'm starting to use this word pretty regularly.

When I think about it, the noun 'adult' doesn't seem adequate enough to describe the struggle I feel as I make the transition into adulthood. Doing grown-up things and being responsible is proving to be a challenging process. This is why I feel a verb form in necessary. Adulting is hard.

For me, adulting is all about looking like you know what you're doing. I thought this was solely a struggle of mine, but searching social media for #adulting proves me wrong. Suddenly I went from being intimidated by people who looked like they had it all together, to being pretty convinced that no one actually knows what they're doing.

If all these strangers can seem so relatable through our struggle to become adults, certainly companies can use the same tactics to relate to others learning to adult. For this very reason, I'm setting out to document some of my adventures in adulting, and tying my experiences into how local Athens businesses can better relate to college students by utilizing "adulting" in their social media marketing.

No comments:

Post a Comment